BRAMPTON, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on the river Ouse, near the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile WSW of Huntingdon. It has a post office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £7,447. Pop., 1,270. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. Brampton Park belonged to Sir John Barnard, who sat in the parliament which restored Charles II.; was the birthplace of Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty under Charles II. and James II.; and became the seat of Lady O. B. Sparrow. The mansion was mostly rebuilt in 1820; and contains some fine family paintings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a monument to Sir John Barnard. Charities, £16.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Brampton CP/AP Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.