CHESTERTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the verge of the county, and on Ermine-street and the river Nen, 2½ miles SE of Castor r. station, and 5½ SW of Peterborough. Post town, Castor, under Peterborough. Acres, 1, 330. Real property, £2, 447. Pop., 129. Houses, 22. The manor belonged to the Bevils, the Drydens, the Piggots, and the Wallers; and belongs now to the Marquis of Huntley. A single-ditched camp is at Castlefield. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Haddon, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £800.* Patron, the Marquis of Huntley. The church is partly Norman, partly early English, in good condition; and has several ancient monuments.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Chesterton CP/AP Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.