COMPTON (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Oxford and Gloucester, 5 miles SSE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 E of Moreton r. station; has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlet of Weston. Acres, 3, 530. Real property, £6, 117. Pop., 703. Houses, 166. Weston House is the seat of Sir George Phillips, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £191.* Patron, Eton College. The church was recently restored. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £18.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Long Compton CP/AP Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||COMPTON | COMPTON LONG | LONG COMPTON|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.