Place:


Long Compton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Compton like this:

COMPTON (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Oxford and Gloucester, 5 miles SSE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 E of Moreton r. station; has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour; and was once a market-town. ...


The parish includes also the hamlet of Weston. Acres, 3, 530. Real property, £6, 117. Pop., 703. Houses, 166. Weston House is the seat of Sir George Phillips, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £191.* Patron, Eton College. The church was recently restored. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £18.

Long Compton through time

Long Compton is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Compton, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8842

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Compton ".