DODDLESTON, a village and a township in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; and a parish partly also in Flint. The village stands near the boundary with Wales, and near the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2½ miles SW of Saltney r. station, and 4½ SSW of Chester. The township includes also the hamlet of Gorstella. Acres, 1, 677. Real property, £2, 646. Pop., 304. Houses, 54. The parish contains likewise the townships of Lower Kinnerton and Higher Kinnerton; and its post town is Pulford, under Wrexham. Acres, 4, 013. Real property, £6, 191. Pop., 814. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. A seat of the Egertons here was the head-quarters of Brereton, at the siege of Chester in 1645-6. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Chester. Value, £593.* Patrons, the Dean and Chaper of Chester. The church was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in 1869. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a free school, and charities £10.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.