Place:


Dodleston  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dodleston like this:

DODDLESTON, a village and a township in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; and a parish partly also in Flint. The village stands near the boundary with Wales, and near the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2½ miles SW of Saltney r. station, and 4½ SSW of Chester. The township includes also the hamlet of Gorstella. ...


Acres, 1, 677. Real property, £2, 646. Pop., 304. Houses, 54. The parish contains likewise the townships of Lower Kinnerton and Higher Kinnerton; and its post town is Pulford, under Wrexham. Acres, 4, 013. Real property, £6, 191. Pop., 814. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. A seat of the Egertons here was the head-quarters of Brereton, at the siege of Chester in 1645-6. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Chester. Value, £593.* Patrons, the Dean and Chaper of Chester. The church was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in 1869. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a free school, and charities £10.

Dodleston through time

Dodleston is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dodleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dodleston, in Chester and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2878

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dodleston ".