KNOWLE, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands on a hill, adjacent to the Birmingham and Warwick canal, 1¼ mile NE of the Oxford and Birmingham railway, and 9½ miles SE of Birmingham; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Birmingham, and a fair on the Monday after St. Ann's day. The chapelry is in Hampton-in-Arden parish, and was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1859. Real property, £8, 525. Pop. in 1851, 1, 155; in 1861, 1, 200. Houses, 265. The property is much subdivided. Springfield Hall, with much of the land, belongs to H. T. Boultbee, Esq. Highfield, the Laurels, and the Lodge also are chief residences. Roman coins have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £112.* Patron, George Unett, Esq. The church is chiefly later English, of interesting character; had a chantry chapel, founded in the time of Richard II.; and contains a splendid carved oak screen, a number of grotesquely carved oak stalls, and several sedilia. There are an endowed free school for boys and girls, and a reading room and library.The sub-district contains also Balsall hamlet, and two entire parishes. Acres, 11, 461. Pop., 2, 819. Houses, 660.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Knowle Ch/CP Solihull PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.