Place:


Knowle  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowle like this:

KNOWLE, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands on a hill, adjacent to the Birmingham and Warwick canal, 1¼ mile NE of the Oxford and Birmingham railway, and 9½ miles SE of Birmingham; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Birmingham, and a fair on the Monday after St. ...


Ann's day. The chapelry is in Hampton-in-Arden parish, and was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1859. Real property, £8, 525. Pop. in 1851, 1, 155; in 1861, 1, 200. Houses, 265. The property is much subdivided. Springfield Hall, with much of the land, belongs to H. T. Boultbee, Esq. Highfield, the Laurels, and the Lodge also are chief residences. Roman coins have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £112.* Patron, George Unett, Esq. The church is chiefly later English, of interesting character; had a chantry chapel, founded in the time of Richard II.; and contains a splendid carved oak screen, a number of grotesquely carved oak stalls, and several sedilia. There are an endowed free school for boys and girls, and a reading room and library.—The sub-district contains also Balsall hamlet, and two entire parishes. Acres, 11, 461. Pop., 2, 819. Houses, 660.

Knowle through time

Knowle is now part of Solihull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Solihull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knowle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowle, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9159

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knowle ".