LYMM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the Bridgewater canal, near the Manchester, Warrington, and Garston railway, 1¼ mile SSE of the river Mersey, 1¼ SW of the river Bollin, and 4½ ESE of Warrington; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Warrington, a police station, an old cross, gas-works, and fairs on 5 May and 5 Nov. The police station is a neat small building, containing four cells. The cross is partly cut out of solid rock, and is in fine preservation. The gas-works were erected in 1862. The parish contains also the hamlets of Heatley-Heath and Cliffe-Lane, and the places called Crouchley-Lane, Burford-Lane, LymmBooths, Oughtrington, Broom edge, Reddish, and Stat ham; and it extends to the Mersey and the BollinAcres, 4,284. Real property, £18,377; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,3,156; in 1861,3,769. Houses, 735. The manor is divided. Lymm Hall, an ancient edifice, formerly moated, is the seat of J. Barratt, Esq. Oughtrington Hall is the seat of A. F. Payne, Esq.; Statham Lodge, of P. Stubs, Esq.; Beechwood, of G.Dewhurst, Esq. There are many recent Villas and well built houses. Tanning and fustian-cutting are carried on. The living is a rectory of two medieties in the diocese of Chester. Value of the first med., £349;* of the second med., £249. * Patron of the first, E. Leigh, Esq.; of the second, R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. The old church dated from about 1322; and, except the W window and the lower part of the tower, was taken down in 1850. The new church was built in 1851; is in the early decorated style; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower; has a fine E window, put up in 1865 in memory of the late rector, the Rev. W. M'Iver; and includes, in the N aisle, a private chapel in lieu of one in the old church. Two chapels of ease are in Oughtrington and Broomedge. An Independent chapel was built, in 1863, at a cost of about £3,200. There are also chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar school, parochial schools, a mixed school, an infant school, and charities £95.The sub-district contains also Warburton parish, and parts of three other parishes. Acres, 18,170. Pop., 7,395. Houses, 1,398.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Lymm AP/CP Lymm SubD Altrincham PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.