Place:


Lymm  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lymm like this:

LYMM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the Bridgewater canal, near the Manchester, Warrington, and Garston railway, 1¼ mile SSE of the river Mersey, 1¼ SW of the river Bollin, and 4½ ESE of Warrington; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Warrington, a police station, an old cross, gas-works, and fairs on 5 May and 5 Nov. ...


The police station is a neat small building, containing four cells. The cross is partly cut out of solid rock, and is in fine preservation. The gas-works were erected in 1862. The parish contains also the hamlets of Heatley-Heath and Cliffe-Lane, and the places called Crouchley-Lane, Burford-Lane, LymmBooths, Oughtrington, Broom edge, Reddish, and Stat ham; and it extends to the Mersey and the BollinAcres, 4,284. Real property, £18,377; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,3,156; in 1861,3,769. Houses, 735. The manor is divided. Lymm Hall, an ancient edifice, formerly moated, is the seat of J. Barratt, Esq. Oughtrington Hall is the seat of A. F. Payne, Esq.; Statham Lodge, of P. Stubs, Esq.; Beechwood, of G.Dewhurst, Esq. There are many recent Villas and well built houses. Tanning and fustian-cutting are carried on. The living is a rectory of two medieties in the diocese of Chester. Value of the first med., £349;* of the second med., £249. * Patron of the first, E. Leigh, Esq.; of the second, R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. The old church dated from about 1322; and, except the W window and the lower part of the tower, was taken down in 1850. The new church was built in 1851; is in the early decorated style; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower; has a fine E window, put up in 1865 in memory of the late rector, the Rev. W. M'Iver; and includes, in the N aisle, a private chapel in lieu of one in the old church. Two chapels of ease are in Oughtrington and Broomedge. An Independent chapel was built, in 1863, at a cost of about £3,200. There are also chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar school, parochial schools, a mixed school, an infant school, and charities £95.—The sub-district contains also Warburton parish, and parts of three other parishes. Acres, 18,170. Pop., 7,395. Houses, 1,398.

Lymm through time

Lymm is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lymm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lymm, in Warrington and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/950

Date accessed: 13th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lymm ".