Place:


Milton under Wychwood  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton under Wychwood like this:

MILTON, a village and a township in Shipton-under-Wychwood parish, Oxford. The village stands 1½ mile WSW of Shipton r. station, 3 E of the boundary with Gloucester, and 4 N by E of Burford; is a considerable place; and has a post office, of the name of Milton-under-Wychwood, under Chipping-Norton. The township comprises 2,130 acres. Real property, £3,266. Pop. in 1851,799; in 1861,895. Houses, 200. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ducie. A church and a national school-house were built in 1854; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Milton under Wychwood through time

Milton under Wychwood is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton under Wychwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton under Wychwood in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9971

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton under Wychwood ".