Place:


Fifield  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fifield like this:

FIFIELD, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; on the W verge of the county, 3½ miles SSW of Shipton r. station, and 4½ N by W of Burford. It has a post office under Chipping-Norton. Acres, 1, 148. Real property, £1, 386. Pop., 234. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. ...


The living is a rectory, united in 1865 with Idbury, in the dio. of Oxford. Value, £267. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church has an early English chancel, an E window with flowing tracery and stained glass, and an octagonal tower with a spire; and is good. Charities, £49.

Fifield through time

Fifield is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fifield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fifield in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9668

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fifield ".