Place:


Tweedmouth  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tweedmouth like this:

TWEEDMOUTH, a village, a township, and a parish, in Berwick district, Northumberland. The village stands on the Northeastern railway, at the junction of the branch to Kelso, 1 mile S of Berwick; had a castle, founded by King John, and destroyed by William of Scotland; is a seat of petty-sessions; carries on industry in iron foundries, a brewery, saw-mills, a paper mill, and engine works; and has a great r. ...


station with telegraph, a church, two Presbyterian chapels, an ultra-mural cemetery, and a national school.-The township comprises 1,931 acres of land and 397 of water. Pop., 2,884. Houses, 394. -The parish contains also Spittal and Ord townships, and comprises 5,140 acres. Post town, Berwick-upon-Tweed. Real property, £15,251; of which £150 are in quarries, £475 in mines, £316 in fisheries, and £500 in gasworks. Pop., 5,414. Houses, 789. The manor belongs to the corporation of Berwick. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D.

Tweedmouth through time

Tweedmouth is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tweedmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tweedmouth, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9725

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tweedmouth ".