Place:


Horncliffe  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horncliffe like this:

HORNCLIFFE, a village and a township in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tweed, at the boundary with Scotland, adjacent to Union-Bridge and to the Northeastern railway, 4½ miles SW of Berwick-upon-Tweed; and has a post office under Berwick, and an English Presbyterian or Free church. ...


Union Bridge was constructed in 1820, at a cost of about £7, 500, after designs by Sir Samuel Brown, R.N.; is a suspension bridge for carriages, -the first of its kind ever constructed; has the carriage-way 27 feet above the surface of the stream; and measures 368 feet in length, and 18 feet in width.-The township comprises 606 acres. Pop., 299. Houses, 68. The higher grounds command a fine view of the Tweed and the Merse.

Horncliffe through time

Horncliffe is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horncliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horncliffe, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9309

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horncliffe ".