Place:


Maidwell  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maidwell like this:

MAIDWELL, a village, and a parish in Brixworth district, Northampton. The village stands near the Northampton and Leicester railway, 1½ mile NNW of Lamport r. station, and 7 S of Market-Harborough; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,650 acres. Real property, £2,778. ...


Pop., 290. Houses, 56. The property belongs chiefly to H. H. H. Hungerford, Esq. The Hall is occupied by W. Belgrave, Esq. Limestone abounds, and there are mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £218.* Patron, H. H. H. Hungerford, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There is a free school.

Maidwell through time

Maidwell is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maidwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maidwell, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8071

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maidwell ".