Place:


Occold  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Occold like this:

OCCOLD, a village and a parish in Hartismere district, Suffolk. The village stands 2 miles S S E of Eye r. station, and 2¾ E of the Roman road to Norwich; and has a letter-box under Eye. The parish contains also the hamlet of Benningham-Green, and comprises 1, 479 acres. Real property, £3,001. ...


Pop., 570. Houses, 124. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Occold Hall, belongs to the Rev.Chapman. Benningham Hall belongs to Mr. James Breese. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £405.* Patron, the Rev. Horatio Todd. The church was originally Norman; comprises centre aisle, a handsome chancel, and a porch; was repaired and re-roofed in 1854; has an embattled tower of 1426, considerably altered; and contains a brass of W. Ocbold. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £120.

Occold through time

Occold is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Occold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Occold in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7566

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Occold ".