Place:


Redlingfield  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redlingfield like this:

REDLINGFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Hartismere district, Suffolk; 3 miles S E of Eye, and 6 E S E of Mellis r. station. Post-town, Eye. Acres, 1,075. Real property, £1, 604. Pop., 203. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in 1120, by Manasses, Earl of Guisnez; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Bedingfields. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £71. Patron, Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. The church was the chapel of the ancient nunnery. Charities, £50.

Redlingfield through time

Redlingfield is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redlingfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redlingfield in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7623

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Redlingfield ".