Llan Giwg  Glamorgan


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llan Giwg like this:

LLANGUICK, or LLANCIWG, a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan; on the river Tawe, the Swansea canal, and the railway up the Tawe valley, 5½ miles NW by N of Neath. It contains the hamlets of Alltgreig, Blaenegel, Caergwrwain, and Mawr; and its Post town is Neath. Acres, 12,550. Real property, £13,991; of which £4,487 are in mines, £2,000 in ironworks, and £66 in railways. ...

Pop. in 1851,4,229; in 1861,7,983. Houses, 1,530. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of new collieries, and from the extension of the iron trade. The property is snbdivided. Coal, culm, anthracite, and ironstone are worked. The living is a p. curacy, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £103. Patron, F. E. Lloyd, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Ciwg, and is of fair character. A portion of the chapelry of Cwmamman, with a pop. of 1,645 in 1861, is within the parish.

Llan Giwg through time

Llan Giwg is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llan Giwg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llan Giwg, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llan Giwg".