Place:


Old Romney  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Romney like this:

ROMNEY (Old), a parish in Romney-Marsh district, Kent; 2 miles W by N of New Romney, and 5 S E of Appledore r. station. Post-town, New Romney, under Folkestone. Acres, 2, 535. Rated property, £4, 720. Pop, 151. Houses, 26. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £246. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient; was recently restored; has a tower and spire; and contains a curious Norman font, and somebrasses and tablets.

Old Romney through time

Old Romney is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Romney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Romney, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6334

Date accessed: 17th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Old Romney".