Place:


Chiddingfold  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chiddingfold like this:

CHIDDINGFOLD, a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey; in the Weald, 2 miles SE of Witley r. station, and 4¼ NE of Haslemere. It has a post office under Godalming. Acres, , 936. Real property, £, 506. Pop., 167. Houses, 230. The property is divided among a few. Glass was manufactured here, in eleven houses, in the time of Elizabeth. ...


The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Haslemere, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £512.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is chiefly early English, and good. There are a national school, and charities £25.

Chiddingfold through time

Chiddingfold is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chiddingfold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chiddingfold, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6068

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chiddingfold ".