Place:


North Chapel  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Chapel like this:

NORTHCHAPEL, a village and a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex. The village stands on a gentle declivity, adjacent to an affluent of the river Arun, 2 miles S of the boundary with Surrey, 4 S E of Haslemere r. station, and 5 N N W of Petworth; commands a good view of the downs of Sussex and Surrey; and has a post-office under Petworth. ...


The parish comprises 3, 854 acres. Real property, £2, 562. Pop. in 1851, 864; in 1861, 785. Houses, 164. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration to large towns. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. Broadlands is the seat of G. Baker, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £284. * Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is plain but good, and has a W tower. There are a Sunday school with £10 a year from endowment, and alms-houses with £45.

North Chapel through time

North Chapel is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Chapel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Chapel, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8298

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Chapel ".