Place:


Gaywood  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gaywood like this:

GAYWOOD, a village and a parish in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk. The village is suburban to Kings-Lynn; stands on the Gaywood river, near the East Anglian railway, ¾ of a mile E of Kings-Lynn; and has a post office under Lynn, and fairs on 22 June and 17 Oct. The parish comprises 2, 335 acres of land, and 160 of water. ...


Real property, £9, 399; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 368. Houses, 325. The property is much subdivided. An episcopal palace was built here, in the time of King John, by Bishop Grey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £633.* Patron, R. Bagge, Esq. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; and has a brick tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, an hospital for poor widows, and charities £24.

Gaywood through time

Gaywood is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gaywood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gaywood in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5583

Date accessed: 24th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gaywood ".