Place:


Egglescliffe  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egglescliffe like this:

EAGLESCLIFFE, or Egglescliffe, a village, a township, and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The village stands at the verge of the county, on a lofty promontory overhanging the river Tees, opposite Yarm, between Preston Junction and Yarm r. stations, 4 miles SSW of Stockton-on-Tees; takes its name, which signifies "the fortress-hill, " from the character of its site; and commands a beautiful view of the winding Tees and the Cleveland hills. ...


The township includes the village, and comprises 1, 570 acres. Real property, £3, 715; of which £25 are in fisheries. Pop., 496. Houses, 111. The parish contains also the townships of Aislaby and Newsham; and its post town is Yarm. Acres, 4, 821. Real property, £6, 609. Pop., 698. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1, 049. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is ancient; contains the effigies of a knight, and is good. Charities, £6. West, the Bishop of Ely, and Basire, the oriental missionary, were rectors.

Egglescliffe through time

Egglescliffe is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egglescliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egglescliffe, in Stockton on Tees and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4861

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egglescliffe ".