Place:


Kirk Leavington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Leavington like this:

KIRK-LEAVINGTON, a township and a parish in the district of Stockton and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Leaven, adjacent to the Northeastern railway, 2 miles NNE of Pickton-Junction r. station, and 3 SSE of Yarm. Acres, 2, 161. Real property, £2, 618. Pop., 182. Houses, 36.—The parish contains also the townships of Castle-Leavington, Pickton, and Low Worsall. ...


Post town, Yarm. Acres, 5, 449. Real property, £6, 275. Pop., 543. Houses, 105. The property is subdivided. An old castle was at CastleLeavington. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £100. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is very old. There are a national school, and charities £8.

Kirk Leavington through time

Kirk Leavington is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirk Leavington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Leavington, in Stockton on Tees and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13296

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Leavington ".