Place:


Shere  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shere like this:

SHERE, Sheire, or Shire, a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Tillingbourn, at the foot of a range of chalk hills, ¾ of a mile NW of Gomshalland Shere r. station, and 5½ ESE of Guildford; and has a post-office‡ under Guildford. ...


The parish contains also the villages of Gomshall, Felday, and Pislake; and comprises 6,396 acres. Real property, £6,334. Pop. in 1851, 1,403; in 1861, 1,503. Houses, 302. The manor belonged to the house of York; was held by the Butlers and the Touchets; was given by Henry VII. to Sir R. Bray; and belongs now to Reginald Bray, Esq. Fir Hill, Hazel Hall, and Breakhurst House are chief residences; and several large houses were recently erected on the heath. An ancient camp of 8 acres is at Holmbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £730.* Patron, the Rev. R. L. Adams. The church is chiefly decorated English; and has a S Norman door, and a central tower and spire There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £16. W. Bray, the county historian, was a native.

Shere through time

Shere is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shere, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4352

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shere".