Place:


Abinger  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abinger like this:

ABINGER, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village is 2¼ miles SE of Gomshall and Sheire r. station, and 4½ miles SW of Dorking; and has a post office under Dorking. It was for many years the residence of Hoole, the translator of Ariosto; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Scarlett. ...


The parish is overhung on the SE by Leith hill, and drained west ward by a tributary of the Wey. Acres, 5,547. Real property, £4,265. Pop., 906. Houses, 177. The property is not much divided. Abinger Hall is the seat of Lord Abinger; and was long the residence of the Countess of Donegal, Swift's "Glory of the Granard race." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £453.* Patron, W. J. Evelyn, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, partly in the earliest Norman, partly in early English; was recently restored at a cost of about £1,500; and has some good coloured windows. Charities, £9. The parish is a meet for the Surrey Union hounds.

Abinger through time

Abinger is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abinger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abinger, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5655

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abinger".