Place:


Michelmersh  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Michelmersh like this:

MITCHELMERSH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Romsey district, Hants. The village stands near the Andover and Southampton railway, and near the river Test or Anton, 3¾ miles N by W of Romsey; and has a post office under Romsey. The parish contains also the hamlets of Awbridge and Braishfield. ...


Acres, 3,983. Real property, £4,733. Pop. in 1851,1,202; in 1861,1,099. Houses, 245. The property is much subdivided. The scenery is beautiful. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £550.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church stands on an eminence; is an ancient structure of flint and stone; was recently restored; has a beautiful stained glass E window; and contains a carved oak pulpit, an early English font, an effigies of a knight in armour, and a tablet of 1538. The p. curacy of Braishfield is a separate benefice. There are two Independent chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a parochial school, and an education charity of £5 a year.—The sub-district contains also five other parishes and an extra-parochial tract in Hants, and two parishes and an extra-parochial tract in Wilts. Acres, 18,427. Pop., 3,976. Houses, 862.

Michelmersh through time

Michelmersh is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Michelmersh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Michelmersh, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3997

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Michelmersh".