Mottisfont  Hampshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mottisfont like this:

MOTTISFONT, a village and a parish in Romsey district, Hants. The village stands adjacent to the river Test or Anton, near the Andover and Southampton railway, 4½ miles NW of Romsey; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Romsey. Acres, 2,739. Real property, £3,543. ...

Pop., 496. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to an ancient local priory; was given by Henry VIII. to Lord Sandys, in exchange for the manor of Chelsea; passed by marriage, in the beginning of last century, to the family of Mill; and belongs now to lady Mill. The priory probably originated in the Saxon times; is usually said to have been founded by Ralph Flambord, Prior of Christ Church, and afterwards Bishop of Durham; was made Augustinian by William de Briwere, in the time of King John; and received large benefactions from Eleanor, queen of Edward I. Mottisfont House, the seat of Lady Mill, stands on the site of the priory; retains cellars and some part of the cloisters of the priory; and contains an ancient painting representing two events in the life of Thomas Aquinas. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Lockerley and East-Dean, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £900.* Patron, the Rev. Paulet St. John. The church is ancient, with wooden belfry; and was reported in 1859 as not good.

Mottisfont through time

Mottisfont is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mottisfont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mottisfont, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mottisfont".