Place:


Langtree  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langtree like this:

LANGTREE, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 3½ miles SW of Great Torrington, and 8 S of Bideford r. station. It contains the hamlets of Stowford and Week; and its post-town is Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 4,594. Real property, £3,550. Pop., 837. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor of Langtree belonged to the Earls of Gloucester; passed to the Spencers; and belongs now to the Hon. Mark Rolle. The manor of Stowford belonged to the Sackvilles; passed to the Coplestones, the St. Legers, and the Browns; and had a fine mansion built on it by Sir Thomas Brown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £348.* Patron, the Hon. Mark Rolle. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; has an embattled tower; and contains a curiously inscribed tablet to Abraham Barnfield of 1688, and some other monuments. There are a chapel for Baptists, two chapels for Bible Christians, a parochial school, and charities £57.

Langtree through time

Langtree is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langtree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langtree, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3133

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langtree ".