Shalford  Surrey


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shalford like this:

SHALFORD, a village and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Reigate railway, 1 mile S of Guild ford; is a neat place, with embellished environs; and has a post-office under Guild ford, a r. station with telegraph, two breweries, three tanneries, and a fair on 2 Oct. ...

The parish comprises 2, 590 acres. Real property, £6, 172; of which £126 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 175; in 1861, 1, 293. Houses, 266. The manors of S.-Bradston and S.-Clifford belong to the Earl of Onslow; and other manors are S.-Rectory, S.-Heath, Brabief and Tangley. S. House and much of the property belong to Sir H. E. Austen; and Gosden House is the seat of J. Sparkes, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £340.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1846. There are national schools, and charities £12.

Shalford through time

Shalford is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shalford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shalford, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shalford".