Place:


St Martha  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Martha like this:

CHILWORTH, a hamlet and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The hamlet lies N of the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Redhill railway, 2½ miles SE by E of Guildford; and has a station on the railway. The parish is called also St. Marthaon-the-Hill; and its post town is Guildford. ...


Acres, 1, 070. Pop., 168. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. St. Martha's Hill consists of sandstone; is about 600 feet high; and commands a rich and various view. Paper mills and powder mills are in the pretty vale of Chilworth, below the hill; but have ceased, for a time, to be worked. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £25. Patron, Lord Lovaine. The church stands on St. Martha's Hill; and is a restored cruciform ancient chapel, which belonged to the priory of Newark.

St Martha through time

St Martha is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Martha itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Martha, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4911

Date accessed: 20th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Martha".