Great Shelford  Cambridgeshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Shelford like this:

SHELFORD (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chesterton district, Cambridge. The village stands adjacent to the London and Cambridge railway, near the Gogmagog hills, 4 miles S by E of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1,900 acres. ...

Real property, £4,320. Pop., 1,006. Houses, 221. The chief manor belongs to Caius College, Cambridge; and two smaller manors belong to St. John's College and E. H. De Freville, Esq. There are a brewery, a large flour-mill, and nine wells supplying Cambridge with water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £102.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, and has a modern tower. There are a Baptist chapel of 1856, a national school, a British school, and charities £47.—The sub-district contains 14 parishes. Acres, 21,580. Pop., 7,157. Houses, 1,539.

Great Shelford through time

Great Shelford is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Shelford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Shelford in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Shelford".