Place:


Snape  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snape like this:

SNAPE, a township in Well parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles S of Bedale. It contains the hamlet of Langley, and has a post-office under Bedale. Real property, £4,615; of which £18 are in quarries. Pop., 592. Houses, 127. The manor belongs to M. Milbank, Esq-S. Castle belonged anciently to the Fitz-Randolphs and the Nevilles; was rebuilt, about the time of Henry VI., by the Latimers; and now is partly a chapel of ease, and partly a ruin.

Snape through time

Snape is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Snape itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snape, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14246

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Snape ".