Place:


Well  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Well like this:

WELL, a township and a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles S of Bedale r. station. Real property, £1,894. Pop., 371. Houses, 87. The parish contains also Snape township, with a post-office under Bedale; and comprises 6,451 acres. Pop., 963. Houses, 214. ...


The property is divided among a few. Thorp Perrow is the residence of M. Milbank, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £310.* Patron, F. A. Milbank, Esq. The church was restored in 1854. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three endowed schools with £114 a year, and an ancient hospital for 16 persons with £195 a year.

Well through time

Well is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Well itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Well, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14442

Date accessed: 15th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Well ".