Place:


Osmotherley  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osmotherley like this:

OSMOTHERLEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The villageis beautifully situated, and stands on the source of the Wiske, under the Hambleton Hills, 5 miles S E of Welbury r. station, and 6 E N E of Northallerton; and has a post-office under Northallerton, an ancient weather-worn cross, and fairs on 3 May and 18 Oct. ...


The township comprises 3, 260 acres. Real property, £3, 402: of which £14 are in quarries. Pop in 1851, 935; in 1861, 995. Houses, 235. The parish contains also the townships of Thimbleby, Ellerbeck, and West Harlsey. Acres, 7, 220. Real property, £7, 734. Pop. in 1851, 1, 253; in 1861, 1, 320. Houses, 289. The property is subdivided. A Carthusian priory was founded at Mount Grace, in 1396, by the Duke of Surrey; and has left some remains. An ancient castle was in West Harlsey, and has left some ruins. There are a linen manufactory, bleach-works, and corn mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a tower, and has been recently repaired. There are chapels for Methodists and Roman Catholics.

Osmotherley through time

Osmotherley is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osmotherley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osmotherley, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13850

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Osmotherley".