Place:


Kilham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilham like this:

KILHAM, a village and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, near the source of the river Hull, 3½ miles NNW of Lowthorpe r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Great Driffield; consists chiefly of one straggling street, about a mile long; was once a market town; and has a post office under Driffield, and fairs on 21 Aug. ...


and 12 Nov. The parish comprises 7, 660 acres. Real property, £12, 656. Pop., 1, 252. Houses, 274. The manor belongs to W. S. D. Duesbery, Esq. About 350 acres are under wood. A mineral spring is near Rudston road, and a remarkable intermitting spring is at Hempit-hole. Brewing and brick making are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is mainly early English; has a beautiful Norman door, and a massive tower; and contains sedilia, a piscina, and monumental tablets to the Andersons, the Thomsons, and others. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a grammar school with £30 a year from endowment, national schools, a mechanics' institute, and charities £8.

Kilham through time

Kilham is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilham, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13184

Date accessed: 05th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilham ".