Place:


Langtoft  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langtoft like this:

LANGTOFT, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 6½ miles N by W of Driffield r. station; and has a post-office under Driffield.—The township comprises 3,140 acres. Real property, £3,335. Pop., 688. ...


Houses, 142.—The parish contains also the township of Cottam, and comprises 5,680 acres. Real property, £5,607. Pop., 783. Houses, 151. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir John Gibbons. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Cottam, in the diocese of York. Value, £354.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church has a tower of the 13th century, and a nave, a chancel, and a porch of much later date; was restored in 1862; and contains an ancient font and sedilia. There are a church at Cottam, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school. Peter de Langtoft, the monkish poet and historian of the 14th century, was a native.—The sub-district contains also six other parishes and part of another. Acres, 35,736. Pop., 4,259. Houses, 832.

Langtoft through time

Langtoft is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langtoft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langtoft, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13255

Date accessed: 06th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langtoft ".