Place:


Morton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morton like this:

MORTON, a village and a parish in Bourne district, Lincoln. The village stands near Car dyke; 2½ miles N by E of Bourn r. station, and has a post office under. Bourn. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hanthorpe. Acres, 3,390. Real property, £9,382. Pop. in 1851,938; in 1861,1,008. ...


Houses, 203. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. Hanthorpe House is the seat of W. Parker, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Hacconby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is ancient; was restored in 1861; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a free school, and charities £33.

Morton through time

Morton is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morton, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13013

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morton ".