Place:


Monkton Combe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton Combe like this:

COMBE-MONCKTON, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the Radford canal, near the Fosse way and the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SSE of Bath. Post town, Combe-Down, under Bath. Acres, 720. Real property, £6, 181; of which £1, 648 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 271. Houses, 255. Bath stone is very extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Bath and Wells. Value, £60.* Patron, the Vicar of South Stoke. The church is very good. The vicarage of . Combe-Down is a separate benefice. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school.

Monkton Combe through time

Monkton Combe is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkton Combe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton Combe in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12642

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkton Combe ".