Place:


Claverton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claverton like this:

CLAVERTON, or Claverdon, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the river Avon, the Kennet canal, and the Great Western railway, 2 miles E by S of Bath. Post town, Bath. Acres, 1, 228. Real property, £1, 995. Pop., 213. Houses, 39. The manor belonged formerly to the Bishops of Bath and Wells; and belongs now to G. ...


Vivian, Esq. The old manor house stood on the descent of a hill; and was besieged and captured by a parliamentarian force in the civil war. The present house stands high on the same hill; was built from designs by Wyattville; is occupied by the Right Hon. James Wilson; commands a fine view of the valley of the Avon; and possesses a rich gallery of pictures. The reach of vale, called the valley of Claverton, displays striking beauty, and contains the Hampton rocks and other romantic features. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £215.* Patron, G. Vivian, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1858; and the churchyard has a fine tomb of Ralph Allen of Prior Park. Graves, the author of the "Spiritual Quixote, " was rector.

Claverton through time

Claverton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claverton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12608

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claverton ".