Place:


East Coker  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Coker like this:

COKER (East), a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset; adjacent to the boundary with Dorset, and to the Yeovil and Exeter railway, 3 miles SSW of Yeovil. It has a post office under Yeovil. Acres, 2, 121. Real property, £5, 278. Pop., 1, 186. Houses, 247. The property is divided among a few. ...


Coker Court is the seat of the Helyars. A Roman pavement and other Roman remains were found here in 1753. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £212.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is later English and cruciform. There are a British school and charities £46. Dampier, the circumnavigator, was a native.

East Coker through time

East Coker is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Coker itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Coker in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12616

Date accessed: 18th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Coker ".