Place:


Closworth  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Closworth like this:

CLOSEWORTH, or Closworth, a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset; on the river Yeo, at the boundary with Dorset, 3½ miles S of Yeovil r. station. Post town, Yeovil. Acres, 1, 071. Real property, £1, 498. Pop., 184. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £220.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church is later English and good.

Closworth through time

Closworth is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Closworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Closworth in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12612

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Closworth".