Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ACKLINGTON

ACKLINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township is in Warkworth parish, lies on the Northeastern railway and the river Coquet, 11¾ miles north of Morpeth, and has a station on the railway, and a head post office.‡ Acres, 2,072. Pop., 255. Houses. 52.—The chapelry comprises parts of Warkworth and Shilbottle parishes; was constituted in 1859; and is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Pop., 635. Houses, 124. Value, not reported. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is in the early English style, and was erected in 1861, after designs by Deason, at the Duke of Northumberland's expense.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Acklington Tn/CP       Warkworth CP/AP       Alnwick PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place: Acklington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.