Place:


Acklington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acklington like this:

ACKLINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township is in Warkworth parish, lies on the Northeastern railway and the river Coquet, 11¾ miles north of Morpeth, and has a station on the railway, and a head post office.‡ Acres, 2,072. Pop., 255. Houses. ...


52.—The chapelry comprises parts of Warkworth and Shilbottle parishes; was constituted in 1859; and is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Pop., 635. Houses, 124. Value, not reported. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is in the early English style, and was erected in 1861, after designs by Deason, at the Duke of Northumberland's expense.

Acklington through time

Acklington is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acklington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acklington, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8656

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acklington ".