Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WESTERLEIGH

WESTERLEIGH, a parish, with W . village, Nibley hamlet, and part of Coalpit-Heath chapelry, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 2 miles S of Yate r. station, and 2¾ SW of Chipping-Sodbury. Post town, Chipping-Sodbury. Acres, 4,009. Real property, £15,542; of which £7,442 are in mines. Pop., 1,582. Houses, 331. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth and Mrs. Colston. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Pucklechurch. The church is later English, and was injured by fire in 1863. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £76. A cattle fair is held on 19 Sept.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Westerleigh CP/Ch       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Westerleigh

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.