Place:


Westerleigh  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westerleigh like this:

WESTERLEIGH, a parish, with W . village, Nibley hamlet, and part of Coalpit-Heath chapelry, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 2 miles S of Yate r. station, and 2¾ SW of Chipping-Sodbury. Post town, Chipping-Sodbury. Acres, 4,009. Real property, £15,542; of which £7,442 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,582. Houses, 331. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth and Mrs. Colston. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Pucklechurch. The church is later English, and was injured by fire in 1863. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £76. A cattle fair is held on 19 Sept.

Westerleigh through time

Westerleigh is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westerleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westerleigh in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11456

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westerleigh ".