Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COMPTON-PAUNCEFOOT

COMPTON-PAUNCEFOOT, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 2 miles E by N of Sparkford r. station, and 5 WSW of Wincanton. Post town, North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres, 672. Real property, £2, 839. Pop., 253. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. Compton Castle is the seat of B. H. Hunt, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £140.* Patron, B. H. Hunt, Esq. The church is later English, with tower and spire, and is very good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Compton Pauncefoot AP/CP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Compton Pauncefoot

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.