Place:


Compton Pauncefoot  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Pauncefoot like this:

COMPTON-PAUNCEFOOT, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 2 miles E by N of Sparkford r. station, and 5 WSW of Wincanton. Post town, North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres, 672. Real property, £2, 839. Pop., 253. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. Compton Castle is the seat of B. H. Hunt, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £140.* Patron, B. H. Hunt, Esq. The church is later English, with tower and spire, and is very good.

Compton Pauncefoot through time

Compton Pauncefoot is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton Pauncefoot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Pauncefoot in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12672

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton Pauncefoot ".