Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CROXDEN

CROXDEN, a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. It consists of a main body, called Croxden-with-Great-Yate, near the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2 miles WNW of Rocester Junction r. station, and 5¼ NNW of Uttoxeter; and the liberty of Dog-Lane, detached 10 miles from the main body, and surroundcd by the chapelry of Calton. Post town, Rocester, under Ashbourne. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £3, 188. Pop., 224. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. Croxden House is a chief residence. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1176; and the remains of it, including the west front, the south transept, and part of the cloister, show fine features of early English. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £92. Patron, the Earl of Macclesfield. The church is very old, but good; and was the burial-place of the heart of King John. Charities, £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Croxden CP/AP       Uttoxeter PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Croxden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.