Place:


Croxden  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxden like this:

CROXDEN, a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. It consists of a main body, called Croxden-with-Great-Yate, near the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2 miles WNW of Rocester Junction r. station, and 5¼ NNW of Uttoxeter; and the liberty of Dog-Lane, detached 10 miles from the main body, and surroundcd by the chapelry of Calton. ...


Post town, Rocester, under Ashbourne. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £3, 188. Pop., 224. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. Croxden House is a chief residence. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1176; and the remains of it, including the west front, the south transept, and part of the cloister, show fine features of early English. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £92. Patron, the Earl of Macclesfield. The church is very old, but good; and was the burial-place of the heart of King John. Charities, £5.

Croxden through time

Croxden is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croxden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxden in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8020

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croxden ".